Lambert Anime Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the website for Lambert High School's Anime Club.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Hello Everyone! :)
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:19 pm by Shadowmage97

» Corrupt-a-Wish
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 am by D-Man Lee

» Greetings fellow Otakus!
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 11:32 pm by Karlagr

» Voice Actor for Hire
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm by D-Man Lee

» Touhou 12.3
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:23 am by Derek

» Spread the love
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 4:21 am by Michael Vu

» It sure is summer
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:41 pm by Taylor/Kqr7is

» Wiki Diving
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:14 pm by KyleMc

» I-it's not like I wanted to join this forum or anything D:<
May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:14 am by Elliot Maxwell

Top posting users this week
No user
Most active topics
Corrupt-a-Wish
Sucker for romance
Welcome to the Club!
So keeping it SFW...bronies...
Wiki Diving
Favourite OSTs?
Watching too much anime?? (RAGE post)
I need some Mecha
Touhou 12.3
Panic! At the Disco

May 18th (Elaborate Holiday)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
D-Man Lee

D-Man Lee

May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) Empty
PostSubject: May 18th (Elaborate Holiday)   May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 9:51 pm

May 18th (Elaborate Holiday) 20086279659_5650_6_0_4_%20may%2018_calendar-3

Since today is May 18th, I'd like to do a review on a Korean movie about this date. Let me start off by saying this isn't your typical Korean movie that Michael Vu would typically review. This movie has a lot of history with blood written all over it (metaphorically). So unless you like movies that are somewhat educational, violent, and dark. Then I suggest you go into Michael's stuff.

The movie is set in 1980 South Korea. It revolves around a taxi-driver named Min-woo who lives in the Gwangju, he also lives with his younger brother Jin-Woo as he attends college there. He has a girlfriend Shin-Ae who is a nurse at the hospital in the city. Later on the South Korean Army comes in and closes down the university there, with rumors that some of the students in the university were plotting against Choon-Do Hwan the president of South Korea. In upset the students started protesting but ended up getting brutally beaten by the soldiers instead. They even started doing crack downs on civilians that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Eventually on May 18th the troops announced that they were withdrawing. But the only thing that was ever withdrawn on that day were lives.

Basically the first half of the film starts off with some light humor and fun, then after they get into a movie theater it cuts into some really serious stuff. You see soldiers beating civilians and protesters with a night stick like a barbaric savage. Then it turns to chaos as no one is safe from the soldiers.

The film majorly focuses on the events and causes on the Gwangju Uprising. As it also exemplifies the human and personal side that was damaged in the uprising.

Romance was alright in development but not as developed, like in chick-flick movies. Shin-Ae and Min-Woo do love each other, but the constant stress and sorrows of the uprising doesn't give them enough time to express their feelings to each other. Instead their own struggles brought them together as their own family and friends were being killed by soldiers.

Personally I think this film was well-done although the character development is a bit shallow. Acting was so-so and Screenwriting was exceptional, but what really makes up for this movie is the fact that it was based off a true story. I'd say they did a good job telling the audience about this historical event.

In conclusion, I would recommend it if your into history and war movies. But if your really into dramas or love stories that's in the movie. I would suggest you rent it, it's not like Titanic or the Notebook.

Acting: 7.5/10
Plot: 8.5/10
Screenwriting: 9/10

Overall Score: 8.3/10

Next time I'll be reviewing 71: Into the Fire.
See you then!

I also dedicate this review to the hundreds of South Korean men and women, who were killed by the oppressive Korean government on this day.

Last edited by D-Man Lee on Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Political Correctness)
Back to top Go down

May 18th (Elaborate Holiday)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lambert Anime Club :: Media :: Movies-
Jump to: